FOR THE PASTRY
375g plain flour
260g unsalted butter (softened) and chopped into small pieces)
1 large Egg, beaten (you may have to add a little milk)
150g of rolled Marzipan (enough for small roundels in the base of the mince pie)
Large jar of Mincemeat (600g)
2 Satsumas segmented and chopped
1 apple – finely chopped
Zest of 1 large lemon
Mix all the mincemeat ingredients into a large bowl. Mix with your hands
- Weigh out your flour
- Add the butter and start to rub into the flour (you are aiming for a breadcrumb consistency but do not overdo it)
- Add the beaten egg (if you have some left, use it to construct the mince pies and brush on the top when completed)
- Draw the pastry together into a ball and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Grease your muffin tin
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured board to about 3mm thickness. Use a large cutter for the muffin tin base and a smaller one for topping the pies.
- Roll out the marzipan and use a smaller cutter for the base of the mince pies.
- Place the large rounds of pastry into the muffin tin and place the Marzipan cut outs inside
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of mincemeat mixture into each muffin section (do not overfill) Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Place the smaller cut outs of pastry on the top and press to seal
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (removing the cold plain shelf for the last 3-4 minutes) @ 220 degrees in your Electrikit Aga
- Leave to cool and then remove from the tin. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy these with clotted cream
If you are going to indulge, you have to indulge properly!