o 250g/9oz organic butter (very cold)
o 225g/8oz caster sugar
o 300g/10½oz ground almonds
o 140g/5oz plain flour (plus 25g/1oz )
o 2 free-range eggs
o 1 tsp cinnamon
o 1 tsp baking powder
o 6 plums, stoned and cut into sixths
o 50g/2oz flaked almonds
1. If not using an Aga, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
2. Line a half-sized roasting tin with Bake-o-Glide.
3. Using a food processor, pulse the butter, sugar and ground almonds until they resemble rough breadcrumbs. Spoon out half the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
4. Add the flour to the food processor and whizz until it forms a dough.
5. Turn this mixture out into the roasting tin and press down using the back of your fingers.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden in the middle of the baking oven, 3/4/5-oven Agas, or, if using a 2-oven Aga, then place inside a large roasting tin hanging from the lowest set of runners in the roasting oven with the cold plain shelf above on the second set of runners.
7. Remove and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
8. For the filling: put the remaining mixture back into the food processor saving a few tablespoons for the topping. Add the eggs and 25g/1oz flour, cinnamon and baking powder and whizz into a soft batter.
9. Spread this over the cooling base.
10. Top with the plum pieces and a little extra caster sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Bake for a further 20 minutes and then sprinkle with the remaining crumble mix and flaked almonds. Bake for
a further 20 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before slicing and tempting friends away from their good intentions.