You will need:
❏ 175g/6oz butter, softened
❏ 175g/6oz caster sugar
❏ 225g/8oz self-raising flour
❏ 1 tsp baking powder
❏ 4 free-range eggs
❏ 200g/7oz lemon curd
❏ 1 lemon
❏ 225g/8oz granulated sugar
1. Grate the zest of the lemon into a large bowl and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the lemon juice and granulated sugar, beating everything together until the mixture is smooth,
light and fluffy – and impossible not to stick your finger into!
2. Line an Aga half-sized roasting tin with Bake-O-Glide or baking parchment cut to fit snugly. Pour the mixture into it and spread around evenly with a spatula.
3. Slide tin onto the grid shelf on the floor of the Aga baking oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes until the traybake is well risen and golden brown.
If the cake is getting too brown, slide the cold plain shelf onto the second set of runners.
4. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a jug and add the granulated sugar. Set this at the back of the Aga to warm through.
5. When the traybake is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few moments.
6. Turn the cake out and place on a plate.
Pour the lemon and sugar over the warm cake and set aside until firm.
7. Divide into slices or squares and enjoy with a nice cup of tea.
Extra Aga cooking tuition is available in your own home – phone 01544 350382
Find us on Facebook, twitter and instagram