Serves 6-8 people easily (very rich).
175g plain flour
25g fair-trade cocoa powder
25g caster sugar
1 free range egg yolk
2 tbsp cold water
375g fresh blueberries
115g plain organic chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
3 large free range eggs
75g soft brown sugar
Cook in the Aga Roasting oven or pre heat conventional oven to 200C/gas 6
- First of all set the butter and chocolate from the filling list of ingredients in a bowl on the back of the Aga to melt. (If not using an Aga the boil a pan of water and place a glass bowl above it…not touching the water and melt the chocolate that way.)
- To make the pastry in a food processor is by far the easiest: put the flour, sugar, butter, cocoa and egg yolk into the processor and pulse until it is the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Add the water a little at a time until it forms a dough.
- Or if doing by hand…rub the flour and cocoa into the butter to bread crumb consistency. Stir in the sugar and then the egg yolk. Add water a little at a time to create the desired dough ball.
- Roll out chocolate pastry and line a 23cm ceramic dish (it may require a good deal of pressing in patchwork pieces but do not despair). Cover with cling film and place in the fridge.
- To assemble the tart: tip the blueberries into the pastry case.
- Mix together the melted chocolate, butter, sugar and eggs and pour over the blueberries.
- Set this onto the floor of the roasting oven and bake for about 25mins.
- If using a conventional oven you will need to blind bake the pastry case first for about 15 minutes and then add blueberries and mixture and bake in the middle of your oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is risen a little.
- Dust with a little icing sugar and serve with cream or crème fraiche.