Serves 6 (or 1 ½ menopausal women)
5 free range eggs
150g caster sugar
1 un-waxed lemon
55g ground almonds
55g self-raising flour
300ml double cream
2 large table spoons of lemon curd (see Twyford Cookers website for recipe)
Icing sugar to finish
- Line a large roasting tin with Bake-O-Glide.
- Separate the eggs.
- Grate the rind from the lemon and squeeze the juice
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy and then whisk in the grated lemon rind and juice.
- Fold in the Almonds and flour into the mixture and then fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into the tin, evenly spread and place in the baking oven on the lowest set of runners (3, 4 and 5 oven Agas) and bake for about 20 minutes.
- 2 oven Aga: hang on the lowest set of runners and slide the Cold Plain Shelf on the second set of runners above for about 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Take the cake from the oven and turn it out onto a clean tea towel. Carefully peel off the bake-o-glide and gently roll the roulade in the tea towel and leave to cool completely.
- When the roulade has cooled whip up the cream. Unroll the roulade carefully and spread over the lemon curd then add a layer of whipped cream. Re-roll and chill for an hour before serving.
- Decorate as you wish and dust with icing sugar.