You will need:-
❏ 1 free range egg
❏ 100ml/3½fl oz milk
❏ 255g/9oz self-raising flour
❏ 1 tsp baking powder
❏ 50g/2oz salted butter
❏ 25g/1oz caster sugar
How to make:_
1. Beat the egg into the milk.
2. Combine the flour and baking powder then rub in the butter. Stir in the caster sugar then add most of the egg and milk, reserving a little to glaze the scones
before they go into the oven.
3. Combine into a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Form into five or six balls.
5. Place the scones onto a flat baking sheet (cold plain shelf is perfect for this) that is lined with baking parchment or Bake-o-Glide.
6. Brush the tops of the scones with the rest of the egg and milk mixture.
7. Place onto the second set of runners in the roasting oven for 10-12 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
8. Serve with real butter, strawberry jam and whipped cream (or, even better, clotted cream) and drink plenty of British breakfast tea for a perfect afternoon break.
n.b. you can double the above amounts if cooking for a crowd, or if you are extra hungry!
One to one cooking demonstrations in your own home on your own AGA are available – phone 01544 350382 for further details