You will need:-
o 3 large free-range eggs
o 85g/3oz caster sugar
o 55g/2oz plain flour
o 25g/1oz cocoa powder
o Icing sugar for dredging
For the filling and decoration:-
o 55g/2oz good Fairtrade dark chocolate
o 300ml/½ pint double cream, whipped to soft peak
o 1 tbsp brandy
o 25g/1oz icing sugar
o Clean holly leaves
o Edible red berries, such as frozen cranberries or wintergreen
How to make
1. Place the chocolate in a bowl at the
back of the Aga to melt.
2. Line an Aga swiss-roll tin with Bake-oGlide or baking parchment.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together
until thick and creamy.
4. Carefully fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder.
5. Pour into tin and ease into corners.
6. Place the tin on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven and cook for 7-8 minutes.
7. Dredge a clean tea towel laid flat with icing sugar and turn roulade out onto it.
8. Score a mark about 2cm from the long end, then roll up the roulade… carefully! Leave to cool.
9. Whisk the cream, brandy and icing sugar together.
10. When cool, unroll the roulade and spread the cream all over it
11. Re-roll and place on a serving dish; dust with a little more icing sugar.
12. Drizzle the top decoratively with the melted chocolate.
13. Dip holly leaves in the remainder of the chocolate and refrigerate to set.
These are lovely as decoration but not to eat!
14. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!
If you feel you need more AGA cooking know how, phone 01544 350382 for details of one to one or one to a group in your own home