You will need:-
o 375g plain flour
o 225g salted organic butter, diced
o 150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
o 50g finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
o ½ teaspoon of English mustard powder
o Pinch of cayenne pepper
o 2 free-range egg yolks (use the whites
in a meringue case for pud)
o 2 tsp poppy seeds
1. If not using an Aga, pre-heat your oven
to 190ºC/Gas Mark 5.
2. Rub the cold cubed butter into the flour using your finger tips until you have achieved the texture of fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the cheese, mustard powder, cayenne and egg yolks.
4. Add 4-5 tablespoons of cold water and mix to form a firm dough.
5. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or Bake-O-Glide.
7. Lightly flour a work surface and sprinkle over the poppy seeds. Roll out the dough into a square roughly 0.5cm thick. Cut the
square in half.
8. Cut each half into 1cm strips, transfer carefully to your lined baking sheet and bake in the middle of the baking oven, if you have one. Alternatively place on the
lowest set of runners in the roasting oven (two-oven Aga), with the cold plain shelf on the second set of runners above, for 10-15 minutes, until they are crisp.
9. Allow to cool on the tray
Elley will give private tuition in your own home and on your own AGA, should you feel you need to update your skills. Phone 01544 350382 for details
find us on facebook, twitter and instagram