If not using an Aga preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
You will need:-
225g salted butter
175g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
400g chopped rhubarb (obviously fresh and in season is better but I do make this all year round and so will use tinned if I haven’t had the foresight to freeze any)
3 balls stem ginger from a jar, finely chopped (I also tip in a little of the syrup the ginger comes in)
2 tsp ground ginger
For the butter icing
450g icing sugar (sifted)
Grated Zest of one lemon
1 tsp lemon juice
225g cream cheese
1 bulb of ginger from a jar finely chopped and sprinkled over the top
- Roast the rhubarb for 20 mins in a hot oven, cool and drain (skip this step if using tinned)
- Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, ground ginger and flour and then add the stem ginger, splash of syrup and the rhubarb.
- Using a half-sized roasting tin, lined with baking parchment or bake-o-glide spoon in the mixture and smooth the top.
- 3/4/5 oven Aga’s place in the lower half of the baking oven and bake for about 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean (but keep an eye on it during the last ¼ hour and be prepared to adjust baking time)
- 2 oven Aga: place a grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven and sit the tin on top in the middle of the space. Place the cold plain shelf on the second set of runners above and swap this over with another one after 25 minutes. If you don’t have another cold plain shelf you can use a large baking sheet or roasting tin…you need to protect the top of your tray bake from the fierce heat of the roof of the roasting oven… (you can check our website and we’ll be happy to supply you with another Cold plain shelf!) the baking time might be slightly less using this method so keep an eye on it.
- Conventional ovens bake for approx. 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Let it cool completely before adding your creamy topping
- Put the kettle on!
If you are feeling in need of a little extra help with AGA cooking, please phone 01544 350382 for details of one to one tuition in your own home