Chocolate Birthday Cake
Chocolate Birthday Cake – You will need:-
50g cocoa powder
6tbsp boiling water
100g butter, softened on the back of the Aga.
200g caster sugar
3 large free range eggs
175 self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
And now for the Icing
200g milk or dark chocolate according to preference (place in a bowl at the back of the Aga to melt)
100ml double cream
100g white chocolate to melt for decoration if you are using it…you could just pile lots of chocolate buttons or sweets on. Go wild!
What to do
Preheat your ElectricKit Aga to 180 degrees – 30 – 35 minutes
- Put the cocoa powder into a bowl and add the boiling water, mix until a smoothe paste is formed.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer add all the other cake ingredients and beat, when combined add the cocoa mixture and beat again.
- Using bake-o-glide or parchment paper line the half sized roasting tin and pour in your cake mixture. Spread evenly.
- ElectricKit Aga- place on the second set of runners down from the top and put the cold plain shelf beneath your bake for the final 10 minutes.
- 2 oven Conventional Aga: place your half sized roasting tin inside a full sized roasting tin and hang this on the bottom set of runners in your roasting oven. Place the cold plain shelf on the second set of runners above. Bake for 30 minutes but check after 20 to make sure its ok.
- Conventional cookers: bake at 180C/gas 4 for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes
- Turn out the cake (lift it out by the corners if using bake-o-glide) and peel off the parchment. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once your chocolate has melted on the back of the Aga remove to a work surface and add the double cream stirring all the time. This will thicken as it combines, spread onto the cake and place in the fridge to cool and set. Then decorate as you wish.
Enjoy…and happy birthday to you if it’s your birthday as well! x
If you are new to AGA cooking, contact 01544 350382 for details of our one to one AGA demonstration in your home