What’s not to love – Jaffa cakes for giants
You will need
For the chocolate topping:
- 200g/7oz dark chocolate
- For the sponge:
- 3 free-range eggs
- 75g/2¾oz caster sugar
- 75g/2¾oz self-raising flour
- Grated zest of half an orange (use other
- half for decoration once chocolate has set)
- For the jelly filling:
- 135g pack of orange-flavour jelly
- Ideally, make the jelly the night before. Place jelly cubes in a jug, add boiling water up to 200ml/7fl oz mark, stir untildissolved. Make up to 375ml/13fl oz with
- Line a small dinner plate with cling film and pour in the jelly. Make sure that the circumference of the jelly is about 1cmsmaller than that of the cooled sponge.
- Place the plate of jelly in the fridge.
- Next, make the sponge. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they have tripled in size and are stiff.
- Carefully fold in the flour making sure to knock as little of the air out as possible.
- Line a 23cm/9in round, loose bottomed cake tin with Bake-o-glide or grease proof paper.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and place on a grid shelf on the floor of the baking oven. If not using an Aga, pre-heat oven to 170ºC/150ºC fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes – keep an eye on it as it can ‘catch’ quickly.
- When ready, turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- While cooling, break up the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl on the back of the Aga to melt. If not using an Aga you’ll need to place the bowl of chocolate over a pan of boiling water without letting the pan touch the boiling water.
- Once the sponge has cooled and the jelly set you’re ready to make up the cake.
This is the interesting bit and may well be best attempted while little ones are out of the kitchen. Place the upside-down sponge on top of the jelly. Place your serving dish carefully upside down on the bottom of the cake. Now flip the right way up so that the serving plate is sitting on your work top and the jelly plate is upside-down on top of the sponge.from the jelly. Hopefully you have a centralised jelly ring on top of your sponge resembling a Jaffa Cake with the chocolate nibbled off.
- Pour over the melted chocolate very gingerly, helping it along to the edges to get as good a covering as possible with a spatula.
- Finally, grate over the rest of the orange zest or cut little slices if you prefer. Return to the fridge for 10 minutes. Remove plate and cling film (carefully)
Serve to a round of applause.
If you are new to AGA cooking and wish to gain some knowledge and confidence please call 01544 350382 for details of our one to one cooking demonstrations in your own home