Mini Christmas Puds
These puddings are best made ahead of Christmas, but a couple of weeks is sufficient.
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
225g (8oz) soft butter
225g (8oz) breadcrumbs
225g (8oz) sultanas
225g (8oz) raisins
225g (8oz) currants
225g (8oz) marmalade
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
3 free range eggs
3 tbsp milk
Rind and juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
2 tbsp whisky
serves 12 x 175g (6 oz) puddings
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the soft butter. Add the other dry ingredients including the marmalade and spices. Beat the eggs with the milk and add to the mixture with the rind and juice of the lemon and orange and the whisky to make a dropping consistency, add more milk if necessary. Mix well together and make a wish!
- Grease 12 x 175g (6 oz) mini pudding basins and divide the mixture between them. Cover with baking parchment, then a double layer of foil. Place the basins in the large AGA roasting tin and pour in boiling water to come halfway up the basins.
- 2, 3 and 4-oven AGA
- Place the roasting tin on the floor of the Roasting Oven and simmer for 20 minutes then transfer to the floor of the Simmering Oven for 5-6 hours.
- On Christmas Day, place the basins in the Simmering Oven to heat through for 2 hours (no need for any water bath).
- Serve with a brandy sauce, custard or crème fraiche
- Conventional cooking – Start cooking at 200ºC (400ºF), fan oven 180º, Gas Mark 6 for 20 minutes then turn the oven 140ºC (275ºF), fan oven 120ºC and cook for a further 5 hours.