Zesty Fruity Flapjacks
100g sunflower seeds
50g almonds chopped
100g dried mango
3 bulbs of ginger from a jar
1 tbsp syrup from the jar of ginger
100g soft brown sugar
100g golden syrup
250g jumbo oats
100g plain flour
Feel free to add or substitute different fruits and nuts…pine nuts are lovely too. I never make the same flapjack twice as I’m a great one for just chucking that in too.
- Line a half sized roasting tin with some bake-o-glide.
- Grate the zest of the orange and lemon (avoiding the pith) into a large saucepan. Then squeeze the juice from both and put this into a small saucepan with the fruit. Bring the juice to a gentle simmer on the simmering plate and then place the pan at the back of the Aga whilst the raisins etc ‘plump’ up in the juice.
- Meanwhile add the golden syrup, butter, brown sugar and ginger syrup into the large pan with the zest. Again on the simmering plate and keeping a careful eye gently heat the pan until all the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and pour this into the large pan containing the melted butter mixture. Add the fruit along with any juice left over and mix together thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture into your prepared tin.
- 3/4/5 oven Aga and City 60 use the baking oven. Hang the tin on the bottom set of runners and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. 2 oven Aga’s place on the bottom set of runners in the roasting oven with the Cold Plain Shelf above. Bake for 15 minutes and then transfer to the simmering oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a while and then mark out squares with a knife (do not cut through onto the bake-o-glide as you will be most unpopular! If you can, leave to cool and set…but half mine are gone in the first 10 minutes if the kids are home.